Sunday 4 January 2015

Expert enough

Malcolm Gladwell showed us that it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert at something. Unfortunately I only have about 600 hours I can spend this year, so I need to play with numbers a bit. What if it takes me 10,000 hours to become an expert on Sustainable Commodities. But only 4000 hours to become an expert on Sustainable Agro Food Commodities. Maybe 2000 hours for Sustainable Tropical Commodities. And only 1000 hours to reach my goal of becoming a Sustainable Palm Oil Expert.

Expert Enough 
Still more hours than I am probably able to spend without risking my health, my marriage or my day job. So I was happy to find an article written by Corbett Barr from Expert Enough called "5 Simple Principles for Becoming an Expert". Here they are:

1 Realize expert is a relative term
2 Learn from books and experience
3 Focus
4 Get outside help
5 Make mistakes

I will not become the world's leading expert in one year time. But I would be satisfied to become the leading expert at my company, my charities, my political party and my supply chains. If I work hard enough, surely that must be feasible to accomplish by the end of this year? 

Focus
One of my many weaknesses is my lack of focus. I love to start new things, then get distracted and then start something else. My 2014 Jungle Hike was a project where I experimented with focus and I still have a lot to learn. Even when browsing the Internet to find out about becoming an Expert, I got distracted. YouTube offers some interesting interviews with Malcolm Gladwell. I got so distracted that I ordered three of his books. I am amazed how he manages to write all these books and also have a very impressive acting career.


Blink
Bang

No comments:

Post a Comment